Body Contouring After Weight Loss
Surgical body contouring after weight loss is achieved by removing excess sagging fat and skin while improving the shape of the underlying support tissue. The result is smoother contours and a more normal appearance, restoring overall quality of life.
Dramatic weight loss has many benefits. But after weight loss surgery, or any substantial amount of weight loss, the skin and tissues often lack the elasticity to conform to the reduced body size.
Excessive hanging skin can be more than unattractive. It can cause rash, irritation or infection. Removal of excess skin may be covered by your insurance company.
Body Contouring after Surgical Weight Loss
For many people who have undergone bariatric surgery, the successful weight loss can happen so fast that the skin doesn’t have time to adapt to the new you. This can result in excessive skin particularly in the abdomen, thighs, upper arms and breasts for men and women. Some patients say although they feel good, they don’t feel finished with the process. That’s why our cosmetic surgeons at the Center for Plastic Surgery work closely with our Surgical Weight Loss Program, to complete your journey to the body you envisioned.
How soon after weight loss surgery can a person begin body contouring procedures?
If you undergo weight loss surgery, you may be a good candidate for body contouring procedures when:
- You have finished losing weight and are at a stable weight for at least three (3) months. This may happen about a year to a year and a half after weight loss surgery.
- Enough time has passed after surgery to be able to evaluate the skin. By 1 to 1½ years after surgery, if there is still excessive skin, it's unlikely to go away on its own.
If you or someone you know is planning on surgical weight loss, contact the Center for Plastic Surgery to learn about body contouring after weight loss and what you might expect.
When to Consider Body Contouring after Weight Loss
When a person imagines themselves many pounds lighter, they don’t envision hanging skin in their new healthier image.
- If you are an adult and have stabilized your weight and have a positive outlook and realistic goals
- If you have recently lost major amounts of weight following weight-loss (bariatric) surgery
- If you are a healthy individual without medical conditions that impair healing or increase risk of surgery
- If you are committed to leading a healthy lifestyle with proper nutrition and fitness
What are Possible Body Contouring Procedures After Weight Loss?
More than one body contouring surgery may be recommended in order to achieve desired results. To make body contouring procedures easier on your body, your surgeon will develop a personalized treatment plan for you based on your individual needs and goals for surgery.
- Facelift: sagging of the mid-face, jowls, and neck
- Breast lift: sagging, flattened breasts
- Tummy tuck: apron of excess skin hanging over the abdomen
- Lower body lifts: sagging of the abdomen, buttocks, groin and outer thighs
- Medial thigh lift: sagging of the inner, outer and mid thigh
- Arm lift: sagging of the upper arms
Contact us at 914.242.7610 for more information or to schedule a consultation for body contouring after weight loss, or contact us online.
Animated Videos - Body Contouring
View these animated videos to learn about body contouring procedures for buttocks, calf and chest or pectoral muscles.
Body Contouring Implants - Buttocks*
Body Contouring Implants - Calf*
Body Contouring Implants - Chest (Pectoral)*
* Results may vary based on the individual.